Episode 211 – You can play the game if you know the rules with Patric McCallum
Last year I fell upon a great lawyer who was all the way over in Texas and all thanks to a common philosophy about helping families through separation divorce and the online world that is LinkedIn, this week I had the chance to meet that lawyer all thanks to this show! That lawyer is Patric McCallum and I am going to say now that I so enjoyed this interview and I know you will too.
Patric fell into law school and then into a fascinating career in law. Having grown up in Texas and still living there now, we had a lot to chat about, particularly given the many challenges the last 12 months has thrown at Patric and his home state.
It is however Patric’s kind, friendly nature that enabled us to connect to begin with and that shines through in this conversation. He also happens to be a great story teller and having spent the first part of his career involved in a very diverse litigation practice, he has some great stories that reminded me of episodes of Allie McBeal from my youth!
In this interview, Patric and I also chatted about-
- If Patric was not a lawyer he would have been a security guard, just like his father.
- Patric grew up in Texas USA, just north of Dallas, and relives his childhood and shares his family connections with Australia.
- Patric found his way to College and began his studies initially in computer engineering and later in english.
- Patric was struggling to find the next step in his career, when roommate Eddie helped and with the flip of a coin his future was decided – Law.
- Patric enrolled into the South Texas College of Law, much to the surprise of his family.
- Patric’s career in the law started during his second year at law school as a Clerk for a professor.
- A win in the federal courts gave Patric the passion and confirmation that the Court Room is where he was meant to be.
- The temporary Bar card – how it works and how this led to Patric becoming a trial lawyer while he was still a student.
- One of Patric’s most memorable trials was one in which his father was in attendance, and could finally see what Patric did.
- The analytical skills and flexibility needed for a deposition, and how this carries through all legal work.
- Patric’s journey to Family Law and the love relationship that developed with Charlotte Drew, now his partner in life and law.
- We discuss the importance of building law for the future that focuses on the consumer and how another set of wise words from College roommate Eddie led to Charlotte and Patric pivoting their family law practice to out of court solutions.
- The switch to focusing on collaborative practice, mediation and uncontested divorce and how they made this changeover.
- Patric’s tips for handling personal happiness balanced with the high-pace of the law.
- We discuss the disparity between women and men in the law, both here and in the US.
- Solving problems with respect, communication and kindness between lawyers.
- The ‘big freeze’, the pandemic, political unrest and the impact of the past year on Patric and Charlotte’s lives and how they are finding the courage to keep going.
- Patric’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Patric McCallum.