Episode 218 – Empathy, Duty and Making a Difference with Adair Donaldson
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Adair Donaldson.
This episode has been a long time in the making!
I have known Adair for a few years, and he is someone that I have a lot of respect for both professionally and personally. Adair is someone who takes responsibility and ethical duty very seriously and is incredibly passionate and dedicated to his work. Adair has dedicated his career to helping people, and in helping make a lasting difference – to individuals and to the legal system – through his role as a lawyer and as an educator.
Adair’s practice, Donaldson Law, specialises in advocating for victims of sexual abuse. What makes Donaldson Law so special is its focus is not just the traditional route of legal assistance. Adair has created Donaldson Law as a practice that takes a far more holistic, understanding and healing approach to their clients. He focuses on the human factor; the trust in listening to and sharing stories, and being able to assure clients that their stories are heard, believed, and going to be shared to make a difference.
Adair’s passion, dedication and determination in law is a great example of what law can offer – to both practitioners and clients – in creating and sustaining a better world.
In this interview, Adair and I also chatted about-
- Adair’s calling to become a lawyer (and his inspiration, Atticus Finch!)
- Mentors and the importance of educating the younger generation.
- The 4 A’s of Abuse for survivors – Acknowledgement, Apology, Assurance and Assistance.
- Adair’s background and lasting roots in regional Queensland.
- His work with Shine Lawyers, and his decision to create a different way of doing the law.
- The beginnings of Donaldson Law in 2016, and the value of working with his wife.
- The decision to start the national office in Sydney before opening in Toowoomba.
- Grinders, minders, finders and cupcakes!
- Increasing exposure for Violence Against Women, and what steps need to take place for long-term change.
- Defining sexual harassment and giving others the strength to speak out.
- Making a difference in sports for the next generation and Sport Integrity Australia.
- Adair’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Adair Donaldson.