Episode 22 – Jumping into Your Career Headfirst with Jennifer McArdle
Hello and welcome to The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast where in this week’s show I’m interviewing one of the great influences and mentors of my career, Jennifer McArdle. Jennifer is a Brisbane-based barrister who specialises in family law. Her work has seen her transition through a number of different areas in the legal industry, including working initially as a commercial solicitor at Hemming & Hart Solicitors before working with Legal Aid Queensland for many years as a senior manager and specialist Independent Children’s Lawyer. She’s also a member and former president of the Family Law Practitioners Association Qld Ltd.
Since going to the Bar Jennifer has taken a few more innovative steps with her career to ensure happiness and balance for her and her family. Living in Northern NSW but working mostly out of Qld, Jennifer has been innovative with her work practices to create a life that offers some of the best of both worlds.
Jennifer is a fierce and determined professional who is able to offer great wisdom and advice for lawyers at any stage in their career, but particularly for those just starting out and looking to find their own way.
Here are just a few of the topics we touch upon in this episode:
- What Jennifer would be doing if she weren’t a lawyer
- Focusing on the good, learning from mistakes and letting go of negativity
- The importance of preparation, in terms of both time and workload
- Setting aside time for holidays, and taking them!
- How Jennifer is able to maintain a successful career while working from home
- Steps that Jennifer takes to remaining positive during difficult times
- Jennifer’s love of food, travel and socialising
- Jennifer’s tips for young people finding their own way in the legal industry
- How to successfully transition into the bar
- How to know when it’s time to move on from one position to another in your career
- Jennifer’s career highlights
- Jennifer’s Happiness Challenge!