Episode 220 – Simple Courage with Heather Hubbard
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing one great lawyer and now the founder of ‘Simple Courage,’ Heather Hubbard. Heather and I have been connected with one another online for years, as we are working on very similar things despite being across the world from one another. She is someone who inspires me a lot, especially with her work in the space of finding courage and joy.
Heather has spent her life on a mission to speak out and change the world for the better. From her childhood in a small, conservative town in Kentucky, she has been determined to achieve her dreams and prove wrong anyone who told her otherwise. Heather has practiced in law firms of all sizes, and found a specialty in holistic strategy and advice. She is the founder of ‘All Rise’ and more recently, ‘Simple Courage’, both of which are businesses with a focus on helping people achieve their goals.
What makes Heather so special is her ability to see the bottom line of what stops us from reaching these goals; fear. ‘Simple Courage’ was founded to hone in on this aspect, and help people to discover themselves and give us the courage to reach (and surpass) our ambitions. A piece that I particularly love that Heather focuses on is her belief in finding moments of play, joy and mindfulness in our lives.
This podcast may seem a little left of field, as Heather is, in her words, an ‘inactive’ attorney – but I think her focus on fear, courage and play is incredibly poignant and relevant to lawyers at all stages of their lives and careers. There is a lot of power in Simple Courage.
In this interview, Heather and I also chatted about-
- The importance of certainty for our wellbeing and we discuss the impact of the pandemic this past year.
- If Heather was not a lawyer, she would have been doing what she is now – an online business where she is a speaker.
- Women in the law who have taken their skills to the next level.
- The beauty of social media and the sense of belonging that is achievable in this space.
- Heather grew up as a small-town girl in Kentucky where she knew, early on, that she wanted to challenge societal norms.
- Her time at Vanderbilt Law School and her path into law.
- Heather’s goal was to work in Entertainment and Intellectual Property Law and she shares her ‘hustle; approach.
- ‘Fancy law-firm America’ and the overwork culture.
- Heather’s reasoning for leaving the law to follow her dreams to become a leader and speaker.
- The initial version of ‘Simple Courage’ and her learnings from this time.
- Giving yourself permission to have fun.
- Problem-solving and the experimental part of pivoting in business.
- The beginner mindset or the curious mindset and the value of questioning your life.
- The beginnings of Simple Courage and the evolution to a holistic approach.
- When an idea pulls at your heart you need to listen.
- The worry around failure and Heather’s tips for overcoming this fear.
- Courage is an act so, get uncomfortable because courage is contagious.
- Our assumptions of roles and expectations – these are the root of our beliefs.
- Authenticity and the law can go hand in hand if we have the confidence to do so.
- Heather’s perspective on the legal identity and how we can step out in a different way.
- Outside of work, Heather is creative and shares the value of creativity in the law.
- Heather gives us the discount code HappyLawyer for her Discovery Program.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Heather Hubbard.