Episode 222 – Building your portfolio career with Athlete Advocate Alex Sinatra
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Alex Sinatra. I think Alex best described her role(s) now when she said she has a ‘portfolio career’. My take on this descriptor is that Alex has brought together her unique knowledge and experience to build a career in law that has many aspects but is a perfect fit for her.
At the time I recorded this interview with Alex we were both in the midst of following our world leading athletes at the Tokyo Olympics and it made for a fascinating conversation as Alex has both a personal background as a competitive gymnast but also now works in the sports law space. That coupled with her biological connection to Frank Sinatra had me so intrigued during this chat.
Each day in Alex’s work life is different and this is how she likes it. She is a true example of building a career that brings together your passions, interests and talents which has at the heart of it happiness- all the things you know I love!
In this interview, Alex and I also chatted about-
- If Alex was not a lawyer she would have been an actress or a model.
- Alex grew up in the United States and currently resides in Texas. She came from a multi-cultural background and yes – is related to the famous Sinatra family!
- Many Alex’s family members are in the medical field and she discusses her expectations of COVID in the next few years.
- Originally, Alex set out to become a pediatric orthopedic surgeon and completed 2 years of pre-med.
- After deciding medicine was not for her, she made the switch to law and business.
- Alex always had goals to combine sport into a career and shares why this was so important for her.
- Alex shares how student-athletes were unable to profit from their name, image and likeness, and her involvement in changing these regulations.
- The world of social media and the profits that can now feely be made by athletes.
- The NCAA and Alex’s passion for becoming an Advocate for Athletes.
- The world of Gymnastics and the pressure athletes are under both domestically and abroad.
- Alex shares her perspective on the parallels between sport and our work as lawyers.
- Mental Health and recognising we, as lawyers and individuals are important as well.
- The TLAP program and the ability to check-in anonymously on a colleague if concerned for their mental health.
- The eye-opening moment of working in Family Law, her experience working in this area and her motivation to change direction.
- Alex’s first experience in sports law and her growth in leadership and management.
- Working on USA today writing for the NFL and how she intentionally curated her career over many years.
- Pivoting during the pandemic and the beginnings of ‘Your Potential For Everything’.
- Alex has taken her practice of law and coupled it with her passion for sports and says, ‘the puzzle has now fallen into place.’
- The value of networking and how to prove you are a good investment.
- Alex encourages us to follow our path and stay in our own lane.
- As lawyers, we are taught perfection or failure and dealing with those expectations.
- She says ‘Have that faith in yourself. Recognise that it will not be easy, but if you’re doing what you want to do it will be enjoyable.’
- Contentment balanced with striving for more without comparison.
- Alex’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Alex Sinatra