Episode 226- No Smoke and Mirrors, just Customer Service with Hunter Steele
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Hunter Steele. Now Hunter is a lawyer turned tech company head and one of the creators of the Legal Software Company Smokeball. So how does a boy from Western NSW find himself at the head of one of the world’s leading legal tech companies? Well that is what I found out in this chat!
As is the case in so many of these interviews, I was again reminded that our training and skills as lawyers have such broad application if we let them. For Hunter, it was growing up in his Dad’s regional law firm, seeing the everyday challenges of small business, that kickstarted his interest in legal tech. That and a wonderful friendship early in his career with another lawyer turned tech guru, Christian Beck.
Hunter’s knowledge and love of legal practice shines through in this conversation. And I have decided that building legal tech is sort of ‘building’ with virtual lego blocks so it makes so much more sense to me now! Jokes aside though, Hunter is another great example of using your skills, following your passions and building a career in law that works for you.
In this interview, Hunter and I also chatted about-
- If Hunter was not a lawyer he would have been in the tech space – which is where he is now!
- Hunter has always been creative and shares how he ended up in the software field, rather than heading into the construction space.
- As a child, Hunter lived in Bathurst and his experience of growing up in a beautiful regional town.
- His time studying law at Bond University.
- Joining the software writers at ‘Leap’ and how this changed the trajectory of his life.
- The beginnings of ‘Leap’ and how the founder, Christian Beck, was well ahead of his time.
- The beginnings of ‘Smokeball’ and how Hunter started this spin-off business with the support of his mentor and.
- Building the culture within a business has brought the most joy to Hunter.
- In the last 2000s, Hunter launched Smokeball into America.
- Hunter’s experience of living in Chicago USA, through Covid and, the political environment in 2021.
- Legal market trends and how verticalization (or niching) is changing in Australia.
- A day in the life of Hunter!
- The legal trend changes, in Australia, and the average law firm’s attitude towards technology.
- The advantage of a fixed-fee and client-centric business model.
- Hunter’s predictions for the future of tech in the law.
- His advice for those looking to shift into technology space and, how these programs can be used to reduce stress.
- Hunter’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Hunter Steele.