Episode 227- Be really good at one thing with James Janke and Drew Hamilton
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing James Janke and Drew Hamilton. James and Drew are together the owners and operators of Hamilton Janke, a progressive criminal law practice based in Newcastle. These two friends started their business a few years ago and I so enjoyed hearing the ‘how and why’ behind that decision. Partnerships in legal firms were certainly the way of the past, but we don’t see so many of them popping up now and yet here is one that really works. For James and Drew it is the combination of their shared drive for excellance in their area of law but perhaps more importantly their common belief in the value of life and family. This is a fun interview for anyone with an interest in building a firm from the ground up. These two have done it, successfully, and I can see why having had the chance to enjoy their banter for this hour! We talked surfing, being a Rock Star and somewhere in there life as a criminal lawyer! My favourite tip from these two was a reminder that as business owners it is important to give yourself permission to have downtime, without any guilt.
In this interview, James Janke and Drew Hamilton and I also chatted about-
- If James was not a lawyer he would have been a firefighter and Drew would have been a Lawyer or a Rock Star! (yes I did get a little distracted by the Rock Star ideal!)
- The connection between the performing arts and advocacy as a courtroom lawyer.
- James was born in the UK and moved to Newcastle where he completed his studies.
- Drew grew up locally in the Hunter Valley and why he chose the law.
- The value of human connection in law.
- How Drew and James’ paths crossed and the aligned values they shared.
- The beginnings of ‘Hamilton Janke’ in 2016.
- The impact of the pandemic on life in law- the good and the not so good!
- The opportunities of smaller boutique firms and rural local communities.
- The importance of giving yourself permission to have downtime, without guilt.
- Why their business partnership works and how they are able to support each other.
- The challenges of running a legal practice.
- Becoming agile in a traditionally rigid legal system.
- The transfer over to fixed fees and the advantage of this for their clients.
- A couple of criminal law stories- and a kangaroo in court! Literally!!
- The operation of the criminal justice system during the pandemic.
- The future for ‘Hamilton Janke’
- Their tips for their younger selves going though university.
- James Janke and Drew Hamilton’s Happiness Tips.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with James Janke and Drew Hamilton.