Episode 228 – Loving people, loving law, and a Coral Trout pivot with Joplin Higgins OAM
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing family lawyer Joplin Higgins OAM.
Joplin is someone I’ve known through the excellent work she does in the family law space for a while now, so it was such a privilege to be able to sit down and learn more about her story. Joplin really is such a great example of someone who came into law through a fascinating pathway, found her calling, and has created a unique space in #Lawland where she continues to flourish.
While covering what led her to where she is now (Joplin’s rural upbringing, love of jewellery, time in Germany and how coral trout led her into the law), a key piece for me here is Joplin’s observation on the importance of loving people as a lawyer, and our role in creating a great customer service experience. In allowing this love and care for clients to shine, it makes us better – not just as lawyers, but as people too.
This conversation was so much fun, but also a fantastic insight into something many of us experience in law – ending up in a space that was not a part of our initial plan! Joplin is a beautiful example of how life leads us to unexpected places, and how we can make the most of these opportunities to learn, grow, pivot, and find joy.
In this interview, Joplin and I also chatted about-
- If Joplin was not a lawyer she would have been a jewellery designer!
- Managing your mind through creativity.
- The perspective Covid has brought us and Joplin’s realisation of the important things in life.
- Growing up in Emerald country NSW, gave her a passion for regional communities.
- A rotary exchange in Germany resulted in Joplin moving there for 2 years as a nanny.
- Re-locating to Carins in North QLD to be closer to her brother, where she stayed for 12 years while raising a family.
- How a Coral Trout led Joplin to become a lawyer.
- The many different ways people find themselves on the path to law.
- Studying at JCU in Cairns and her first work experience stint, led to a change from criminal to family law.
- After her own divorce, having to make difficult decisions to manage study and a family.
- After her degree, Joplin was finally able to be with her kids and made the move to Wagga Wagga in NSW.
- Making the right decision at the right moment.
- Joplin’s experience in Legal Aid and her recommendation for young lawyers to work here for a stint.
- Moving to the Hunter Valley to buy a farm and start a law firm!
- The evolution, and deconstruction, of Joplin Lawyers
- The care for the client is essential and Joplin discovered that loving people leads to loving the law.
- Reflection brings clarity and, the perspective of balance.
- She has become an advocate for Domestic Violence Abuse and the awards she has won for her work including an Order of Australia Medal.
- Joplin’s advice to young lawyers coming into the industry.
- Joplin’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Joplin Higgins.