Episode 231 – The Pieces that Make Up the People with Perpetua Kish and Jonathon Naef
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Perpetua Kish (Pepe) and Jonathon Naef (Jono) Co-founders of Balance Family Law. I’ve known Pepe and Jono for a few years now, and it’s been incredible watching them from afar as they have built and created their firm. This was recorded quite a while ago, so apologies to you both that this episode has taken me so long to publish!
What really stood out for me in this chat was how Pepe and Jono have found themselves working in Family Law with such a similar vision, but with such different strengths and experiences. We don’t see many partnerships in newer law firms emerging, but Pepe and Jono truly embody the spirit of why and how these partnerships can come together and bring out the best in us.
Their mutual vision, respect, and helping one another in realising their complimentary strengths is absolutely something we can all learn from – in life both inside and outside the law.
In this interview, Pepe, Jono and I also chatted about-
- If Jono was not a lawyer he envisions himself in the teaching space or as a Lego Master.
- If Pepe was not a lawyer, she would be a creator of any description – she is highly creative and originally pursued a career in acting.
- Pepe grew up in Canberra, but moved to Sydney after university and shares how acting led to her to pursue a career in the law.
- The re-occurring correlation between creatives and the law.
- Jono grew up in Canberra and had the goal of joining the police force so he enrolled in Justice Studies as a way to kick-start his career.
- He decided to make the switch to law after a year of study, and has never looked back.
- Discussing how things fall into place – the tragedies and the wonderful things Pepe experienced in her journey to where she is now.
- The reflection on the life events that change our path but, if it were not for those events, we wouldn’t be where we are today.
- The pieces that make up the people.
- Pepe and Jono embracing the attitude of ‘Let’s just try it, and see how it goes.’
- Family law and Estate Law, and the focus on problem-solving is the aspect of the work that Jono loves most.
- Pepe’s experience in being an associate to the Children’s Magistrate Court where casework captured her heart.
- After the emotional drain of working with children, Pepe made the switch to a Family Law firm where she met Jono in 2016.
- Identifying what you don’t like and moving toward what you do enjoy.
- Systems, processes and numbers are Jono’s strengths, complimented with Pepe’s passion for humanity and social work.
- Progression from working together in larger firms, and the decision to open Balance Family Law on the 1st of March 2019.
- The strong common purpose in the partnership between Pepe and Jono.
- Dealing with imposter syndrome and some of the challenges of starting a law firm.
- Some of the highlights and how to move forward in a practical way by sharing common goals.
- Winning awards and celebrating the wins each day.
- Traditionally Partnerships in law were common, however Pepe and Jono are no longer the norm.
- Their top tips for working together as a team and finding the right partner.
- Pepe’s Happiness Tip
- Jono’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Pepe and Jono from Balance Family Law.