Episode 235 – Deep Thinking & Soul Searching With a Sense of Humour with Andrew McCormack
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this second last episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Andrew McCormack, family lawyer with Thynne + Macartney Lawyers.
Andrew is a great friend of mine, who like me is a Family Lawyer in #brisvegas! Andrew has has been a big part of my legal career, and I am so glad to be able to interview him before this Podcast comes to a close. His story-telling, his sense of humour and his ‘law nerd’ abilities are things that I greatly appreciate, and this interview really embodies these amazing qualities. Andrew has also been a wonderful friend to me particularly during the challenges of 2020 and 2021 so I am glad I got to say ‘Thank you’ and have that recorded for good.
This episode brought a lot of laughter, but also a lot of learnings on everything from entomology to looking after your mental health in #lawland. Andrew openly speaks about his own neurodiversity, burn out and the steps he takes each day to keep at it in #Lawland.
In this interview, Andrew and I also chatted about-
- If Andrew was not a lawyer he would have been an entomologist. (I did have to ask what that was….)
- Andrew is a natural lover of knowledge and shares his interest in all things insects.
- Son of a lawyer, Andrew grew up in a small community on the North Coast of NSW and from the age of 4 was hanging out in his Dad’s law firm.
- Andrew’s father has been a practicing lawyer for over 40 years and Andrew shares what he has learnt from him over the years.
- Small town legal practices vs those in more urban areas.
- His father’s general law practice was established in 1910.
- Andrew attended University where he studied political science and then law.
- How Andrew found himself in Family Law and the aspects of this work that he loves.
- Andrew describes himself as a #lawnerd and loves complex problem-solving.
- The often distressing nature of family law matters and the high rate of burn-out in the field.
- Andrew is the father of 3 daughters and openly says he is outnumbered and absolutely loves it!
- Andrew experienced burnout in 2019 which resulted in taking 3 months of leave.
- The impacts he felt during this time and using this time to find balance again.
- The difference between Dispute Management vs Dispute Resolution.
- Right before the pandemic hit in 2020, Andrew had plans to complete the Bar exam, which was ultimately cancelled.
- Needing to pivot Andrew joined the team at Thynne + Macartney Lawyers. and loves the culture and collaboration of the team.
- Andrew openly takes about his struggles with being risk-averse and how he has learnt to overcome his catastrophising.
- The now out phased Article Clerkship and the value of mentorship.
- Andrew shares that it takes courage to look within and then take the steps to look after yourself.
- The conversation shifts around Mental Health and Neurodiversity and Andrew’s experience in both these areas.
- The importance of fostering conversations with younger generation lawyers and keeping the dialogue open.
- Andrew’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Andrew McCormack.