Episode 236 – Do the Things You Want to Do with Claudia Maw
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this final guest episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Claudia Maw. If there was a person I could pick to be our final story on this show then Claudia is that person- she optimises all of the things I think about when I picture a ‘happy lawyer’ and is a true example of what I think we have come to learn from this show- there is no one way to be a lawyer!
Claudia is based in a little town of Albany in WA where she has built a bustling estate planning practice. But she is not from Albany, and not even from Australia! Claudia has lived a most interesting life and it makes for a fascinating story. It was fantastic to learn more about her background in both law and life, and how she came from a travelling military family in the UK to set up a small firm in rural WA.
Claudia absolutely embodies all the things I love about the ‘new law’ movement. She has taken her incredible life experiences, her passions and her interests, and created a boutique firm that fits her definition of success perfectly. Claudia’s advice? ‘Do the things you want to do’, and I couldn’t agree more.
In this interview, Claudia and I also chatted about-
- If Claudia was not a lawyer, she would have been a set or costume designer.
- With a choice of a Masters in Political Science or Law and, in the end, she did her post-graduate studies in the UK.
- The connection with an interest in the arts and the correlating skills you learn for life.
- Claudia was born in Germany and later lived between the UK and the USA as her father was in the army.
- Claudia attended boarding school from the age of 8 and described her experience of boarding school.
- How Claudia came to study law.
- The practice and the study of law in the UK and some of Claudia’s early experiences.
- When the GFC hit, Claudia and her husband moved to Perth, Australia.
- The challenges of moving country and but the power of a knitting group!
- Her time re-qualifying as a lawyer here in Australia and her first legal role at the environmental defender’s office.
- Structure and succession law ultimately led her down the path of Wills and Estates.
- Claudia has a strong inner self-belief that she can, and she will do what she needs to do to achieve her goals.
- The beginnings of ‘South Coast Legal’ in Albany, 5 hours out of Perth in 2017.
- Claudia’s firm direction, and name change – Demeter Legal an online firm.
- Make changes to ensure your life reflects how you want it to look.
- Claudia’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Claudia Maw