Episode 24 – From Lawyer to Designer to follow your passion with Laura Chong
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
My guest in this week’s episode of The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast is showing us all that anything is possible if you just believe in yourself. Laura Chong started her legal career in a fairly traditional way – undertaking summer clerkships before landing a Judge’s Associate role in the Court of Appeal of Qld. However, a few years into her law career, Laura soon realised that her passions had fallen by the wayside and she was fast becoming an unhappy lawyer.
So one summer holiday Laura decided to launch an online fashion business, ‘400 Co’. Fast forward a few years and this lawyer is now running a successful boutique fashion label including bricks and mortar stores all the while still consulting as a construction lawyer each day!
I loved this interview – Laura is intelligent, determined, creative and lots of fun. Her positive attitude is contagious as was her enthusiasm for new ideas – her catchphrase (you will hear!) is ‘just do it’!
We get into loads of great stuff in this episode, including…
- What Laura is doing now she is not ‘just a lawyer’
- Laura’s tips on being a Judge’s Associate
- The parts of the legal industry that contribute to Laura’s happiness and purpose in life
- How Laura found the time to set up her side-business while pursuing a legal career
- Laura’s tips on following your passion
- The unhappiness in Laura’s career that drove her to making a change
- Laura’s transition from her online boutique to a physical store
- Why making time for your passion is central to happiness
- The ups and downs of starting a fashion label
- Laura’s advice to young lawyers on taking the right steps to doing what you really want
- What the future holds for Laura
- Laura’s biggest learnings in business, law and life
- Laura’s Happiness Challenge!