Episode 26 – The Importance of Community and Collaboration in Law with Gabrielle and Beate McManus
Welcome to The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast, and this episode is something of a first for me as I’m interviewing the dynamic mother-daughter duo, Gabrielle and Beate McManus.
In 1975 Beate McManus was one of the first women in Victoria to start a law firm. 42 years later she is handing over the reigns to her daughter, Gabrielle. There are not too many mother and daughter duo’s I have come across in the law so when I first met Gabrielle and heard a little of her mother’s story, I knew we all needed to hear more!
Both working as Principal Lawyers at McManus & Co, Gabrielle and Beate have worked together and separately to achieve amazing things in the legal industry.
Having set up her firm in 1975 at just 24 years old, Beate has headed the practice for more than 40 years. Over this past year Gabrielle has taken over the reigns as they say. Gabrielle has big shoes to fill but is already focused on how she can continue her mother’s legacy and take McManus and Co into the next 40 years of business. In this conversation, Beate and Gabrielle share with me stories, advice and a heap of wisdom about life in the law and of course happiness!
- Gabrielle and Beate on having purpose outside of their careers to drive their happiness forward
- The importance that humour plays at McManus & Co Lawyers
- How the legal industry has changed and improved over the years
- What keeps Gabrielle and Beate content in the legal industry
- Gabrielle on what it is that gets her through the toughest days in law
- The role that professionalism plays in the day-to-day running of a law firm
- Raising children alongside having a successful legal career
- Gabrielle and Beate’s career highlights
- Tips and advice for lawyers from all walks of life
- The shift towards virtual law firms and the impact it has on lawyers everywhere
- Double the Happiness Challenge this week as Gabrielle and Beate both offer tips on what you can do to improve your happiness!