Episode 28 – Matthew Hickey’s Story of Music Stardom to Success in the Legal Industry
My guest in this week’s episode of The Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast is someone who’s showing us that a rich variety of experiences really can lead to happiness. His name is Matthew Hickey, and not only is he a successful Brisbane-based barrister, but he’s also lived a double-life as a thriving musician!
As an operatic singer, Matthew enjoyed a life that most of us can only dream of – touring the world, playing sell-out gigs and even recording in the famous Abbey Road studio. But a growing disenchantment with the music industry plus a serious health setback forced Matthew to reconsider, eventually bringing him into the legal industry.
I really enjoyed this interview. Matthew is so kind, warm and passionate. He’s super smart and clear about where he’s going, and I’m thrilled to be sharing his inspirational story with you.
- Matthew’s operatic background and how it led him to a career in law
- The psychological pressures that are put on undergraduate law students
- Why a variety of experiences is vital in becoming a well-rounded professional in the legal industry
- Matthew’s take on the reality versus the dream in his music career
- How Matthew’s unhappy experiences drove him to seek the path that was right for him
- Why believing in your abilities and backing yourself creates those defining moments in your career
- The steps Matthew went through to being able to identify which areas of law suited his personality the best
- The problem with being inauthentic and the impact it can have on happiness
- Matthew’s advice for younger practitioners in the legal industry
- Matthew’s drive to being a better person at the end of each day