Episode 29 – Stuart Loudon on Making Time for Passion and Following Authenticity
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
I’m recording this episode of The Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast on International Happiness Day, and I couldn’t think of a more appropriate guest to be interviewing on such a day than Stuart Loudon. Stuart is a litigation lawyer based in Brisbane in his day job, but in the evenings he’s a ‘slam poet’. Now, if you’re like me, you’ll have no idea what that means. But don’t worry, because Stuart tells me all about it, plus how he got into poetry in the first place.
We also talk a lot about what Stuart’s learned from following his passion and how it’s affected his happiness, with his family-life and work-life.
Stuart’s such a great example of someone who’s managed to incorporate everything they value into their life, and be happy as a result. It was a great conversation, and I learned a lot from it. So, give the show a listen to find out more.
- How Stuart got started in poetry slams
- The skills that you need to know in law, but that aren’t taught in school
- Why a varied and colourful background is invaluable for your career in the legal industry
- Stuart on working full-time, while studying and raising a young family
- The inspiration Stuart draws from his wife and kids
- Stuart’s pitch as a commercial lawyer
- What Stuart loves about being a lawyer
- The transferable skills Stuart learned in his career as a social worker
- Being true to yourself and breaking away from facades
- The need for openness and compassion in the legal industry
- Stuart’s poetry community and the connectedness it brings to his life, in and out of work
- How Stuart manages to balance his passions, work and family
- How unhappiness can affect your performance at work and how Stuart changed his approach after realising that