Ep.30 Bev Reaston on Overcoming Challenges and Persevering as a Woman in the Legal Industry
My guest in this week’s episode of The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast is Bev Reaston – a lawyer who’s managed to overcome adversity, be successful and love her work, and all the while raise a wonderful, happy family.
Bev has spent 37 years as a lawyer and, in 1980, was one of the first female solicitors to be admitted in North Queensland. In that time, the legal industry was very different to how it is now. Women struggled to climb the career ladder, and the idea of having a job and a family was actively discouraged.
This was a really inspirational conversation for me because without trailblazers like Bev, women would still be struggling to achieve success in law land. I think you’re going to really enjoy hearing her story, as well as the tips and wisdom that she offers to all of us.
- What Bev would be doing if she weren’t a lawyer
- Bev’s experience being the first solicitor in Cairns to go into court pregnant!
- The real-life juggling of raising a family and maintaining a successful career, and the steps Bev went through to manage both
- The moment Bev was given the ultimatum to either become a partner at her firm or keep having children
- The team you need around you to help you function as a lawyer
- The constant changes in the legal industry, particularly in family law
- What Bev loves about working in law
- The traumatic experiences in Bev’s career and the long-term impact they’ve had on her life
- Bev’s tips for young people working in the legal industry
- The life-threatening accident that changed Bev’s outlook on life
- The big mentors who’ve helped Bev through her career
- Bev’s Happiness Challenge!