Episode 33 – Enjoying Life to the Fullest with Phil Looney QC
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
This week’s guest in The Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast began work as an accountant, but transitioned into the world of law in an unconventional way. Today, Phil Looney is a QC who works across various jurisdictions, and is in a constant state of learning and exploration. An incredible lawyer, one of the things I admire about Phil is that he understands the importance of balance. Enjoying life, he says, is so much more important than work.
In this podcast, Phil and I talk about how he manages to do serious work while still having fun and enjoying life. To me, Phil’s ability to see the service in his work and his intention of creating outlets in his life where he can let off steam are exactly why he has managed to create and maintain such a successful and diverse career.
One of the things Phil does outside of work is dance, which I love so much about him. A ballroom and latin dancer, Phil exudes enthusiasm for life, once again proving how anyone, even a QC, can really do it all. Dancing, for him, is one of the many ways he unwinds and relaxes outside of work. Following your passions in life, yes, seems to be key to living a full, happy, and wonderful life.
In this episode, you’ll hear about…
- How Phil’s ability to be a self-motivated, self-starter got him to his dream job
- The importance of not saying ‘no’ too quickly
- Why Phil believes in embracing all opportunities that you are presented with in life
- The power of potential and how not limiting yourself is key to success
- The many different hats Phil wears and why he believes it’s important to living a happy life
- Why Phil believes the end goal in life has nothing to do with work
- The magic of surrounding yourself with positive people
- The reason why Phil enjoys being in a constant state of learning
- Phil’s belief in working hard while making sure to take time each day for fun
- How just one hour of doing something you love can change your entire day
- And, of course, Phil’s Happiness Challenge!