Episode 37 – Belinda Hapgood on Setting up Her Own Firm and the Role that Creativity Plays in Her Legal Career
In this week’s episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast, I had the pleasure of speaking with employment lawyer, Belinda Hapgood.
Belinda has enjoyed a vastly successful career, and in the past 12 months has decided to go it alone and open her own firm to accommodate her growing family. In this way, she really represents what so many people across all industries are doing, so it was fascinating talking to her about how she went about this. I wanted to understand her motivations behind the move, the tech she uses to enable this lifestyle and how feels moving from big law to being a solopreneur.
Belinda also shared many tips on managing time, stress and getting the best out of your law career. She is just fun to be around and I know you will enjoy this interview.
In this conversation, we get into all of this…
- What Belinda would be doing if she weren’t a lawyer
- The link between the legal industry and the performing arts
- The benefits that life experience can have on your career as a lawyer
- Why fun and passion are so important – not just in your career but in every aspect of life
- The role that exercise plays in Belinda’s routine and how it contributes to her happiness
- Making the time to satisfy all aspects of your personality
- The important role that creativity can play in your day-to-day life
- The benefits that come from disconnecting from your phone and email once in a while
- The invaluable experience that Belinda would recommend for all young lawyers
- The reasons why Belinda set up her own firm
- Belinda’s virtual team and how she manages them
- The pros and cons, and ups and downs, of employment law
- Belinda’s tips on happiness in law
- Belinda’s Happiness Challenge!