Episode 38 – The Rockstar of Law, Michael Kirby, Talks Gratitude, Attitude, and Biscuits
This week on The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast, I had the greatest pleasure of chatting with The Honourable Michael Kirby AC CMG. Anyone studying law will be very familiar with Michael, who is well-known throughout Australia for his amazing career in law and in particular his passion for justice and equality.
I was lucky enough to sit down with Michael, aka ‘The Great Dissenter’, to ask him about his hugely successful career that saw him begin as an articled clerk before becoming a solicitor, a barrister, Inaugural Chairman of the Australian Law Reform Commission, Deputy President of the Australian Conciliation and Arbitration Commission, President of the New South Wales Court of Appeal, and Justice of the High Court of Australia.
How has Michael achieved all this (and more!) in his life, yet remained so level-headed, humble and kind?
We discuss all that in this latest episode, as well as:
- Staying grounded in a very difficult industry
- The different values that can affect us as individuals, and how to avoid allowing them to blind you to the law
- Michael’s family life and the golden path that led him to receive all his accolades
- Tips to having a successful career in law
- How to approach life with the right balance of gratitude and attitude
- Overcoming workplace problems, and how to let them go
- The challenges Michael has faced throughout his extensive career, as well as the highlights
- His recent groundbreaking work with the United Nations
- How to find happiness and contentment in the face of adversity
- The importance of hard work, and a late-night biscuit jar
- Michael’s Happiness Challenge!