Episode 39 – Nick Smart Shares How His 10+ Years of Law Practice Helped Him Open a Huge Parfumerie Business
This week I welcomed one of my favorite people in the whole world and a dear friend from law school, Nick Smart. Nick shared his story of leaving the law in Brisbane to opening a stunning perfumery import business in Sydney, Libertine. I really enjoyed hearing his beautiful reflections on how he sees the world now and how his start in law is such a big part of his success today in a totally different industry.
Nick is a great reminder that there are many ways to be a lawyer. From taking over a law firm as a very junior lawyer to later becoming a massive distributor and seller of the some of the world’s most exclusive fragrances- Nick’s career is a fascinating one! The lessons he’s learned going from point a to point b reminded me that every professional career has its great challenges but law can provide a wonderful foundation to tackle those obstacles.
In this episode, we get into all of that and more, including…
- How Nick and Clarissa both felt a bit different in law school
- The value of learning on the job versus uni
- Nick buying a practice from a retiring lawyer as a junior lawyer with one year experience
- The decision that Nick made in his early 20’s that changed his life trajectory
- How a side business can blossom into a career
- The sense of higher pressures and higher stakes that current law students feel
- The origin story of Libertine Parfumerie and how much Nick had to persevere
- Why law students or lawyers stand out even outside of the profession
- How the skills gained as a lawyer prepare you to run a business
- Living a conscientious lifestyle