Episode 44 – Melissa Nielsen Leading the Way in Diversity, Equity and Flexible Work Practices
In this episode, my best friend Melissa Nielsen, who is a partner at the Cairns firm Miller Harris Lawyers, joined me to talk about the great work she has been doing as a commercial and property lawyer. Melissa has been a partner for nearly five years at Miller Harris, which is a dynamic and prominent firm, and she has been leading the way in establishing charitable partnerships and advocating for flexible work practices. A happy lawyer, Melissa shares what Miller Harris has done to win the QLS Equity and Diversity Award for small/medium sized practices two years running.
We also talked about the need to build relationships with clients in a regional center like Cairns and the overwhelmingly positive atmosphere at her firm. Of course, promoting change in her firm as partner, being a commercial lawyer and raising three young children is no easy task, but Melissa explains how she manages to embrace her hectic lifestyle.
Furthermore, we also talked about…
- The transactional and logical aspects about commercial law that Melissa enjoys
- Flexible working practices allowing for high retention rates and a happy workplace
- Advantages of being a partner in terms of advocating for change
- Building relationships with clients or solicitors through phone calls, not emails
- The unique qualities of working in a regional practice like Cairns
- How office morale can be boosted through a charitable partnership
- Looking outside your job to see how your skills can help you find a deeper connection
- Embracing a hectic lifestyle to manage raising three young children and work
- Why you should not be afraid to ask for help or in sharing a burden
- The importance of taking your holidays