Episode 45 – Mark Lombard on Living a Dual Life as Employment Lawyer and Comedian
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
I’ve talked to many lawyers on this show who lead a “dual life” in some ways and this episode with Mark Lombard is no different! By day Mark works as an employment lawyer but ‘by weekend’ he is writing & performing sketch comedy in Brisbane. It was great fun to get to know him and I’d love for everyone to support him in his comedy career.
Aside from his upcoming shows in Brisbane, we talked about why it should be expected that we all enter a preliminary learning phase before we become skilled in our careers. Mark also shared why he decided to seek flexible work hours and become a part-time lawyer so he could dedicate serious focus to his comedy career as well. In previous episodes, I’ve spoken with a number of women who have made flexible work hours a priority and it was refreshing to hear from Mark’s perspective as well.
Furthermore, we also talked about…
- How it was a lucky accident that Mark went on to study law at uni
- The impossibility of avoiding a challenging first few years at a new job
- Valuing an apprenticeship phase on the way to mastery
- The reality that you need to put in great efforts to be successful
- What Mark finds exciting about employment law
- Finding work as a lawyer overseas in London
- How he slowly began to taught himself to write comedy
- Why Mark thought it was important for him to work part-time as a lawyer
- Mark’s ideas to turn his show Brisburn into a brand
- The mantra to remember when transferring to a new job