Episode 48 – The Many Pathways of Law & Finding the Right Fit for You with Professor Nick James
Do you sometimes feel like law might not be for you? Law students can often find they’ve become disillusioned with their studies or lawyers with the practice of law. If you’ve had thoughts like that before, then this episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast is for you, because today I’m talking to Professor Nick James, Dean at the esteemed Bond University on the Gold Coast, about why it’s okay to change direction, no matter what stage your career is at.
Becoming Dean of a successful University wasn’t something Nick had ever aspired to achieve, but it’s a role he enjoys immensely. To him, teaching is all about educating the next generation of lawyers, not only in the theory of law but the practice as well. Nick believes it’s important to teach the students about what it’s like to be a lawyer, as well as how to accept that it might not be for you. We also discuss the challenges faced by law students and graduates, particularly around mental health issues, and how to overcome any challenges you are facing. Nick has a wonderful, positive ethos, one that I really admire, and it was great fun hearing his thoughts on everything from stress management to the most effective ways to teach law.
We also get into the big questions like:
- Is the future for the teaching of law changing? How is it being taught differently now when compared to 20 years ago?
- What does an employable graduate look like in 2017?
- What should a law school take into consideration in order to provide the best education for their students?
- How Nick became the dean at such an esteemed university
- Why it’s okay to decide law might not be for you, and the different career options you can consider with your law degree
- The anxiety and depression that frequently challenges law students, and why it’s so prevalent within the industry
- What led Nick to choose backpacking instead of BigLaw, and how he came back into the legal profession after his round-the-world travels
- How to go into law with open eyes in order to find the best career path
- The impact of artificial intelligence within the legal industry, and why the world will always need lawyers
- Nick’s Happiness Challenge!
Happy Lawyer Happy Life