Episode 50 – Brennan Ong on Travelling, Social Justice and Disrupting Legal Tech
If you enjoy stories about overcoming adversity and marching to the beat of your own drum then today’s episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast is definitely for you. In this 50th episode of the show, I had the pleasure of sitting down with Brennan Ong. Brennan is the founder and CEO of LawAdvisor- a now international startup that is radically changing the face of legal practice. He is a qualified lawyer, developer and former PhD scholarship candidate researching the future of legal practice.
Brennan is the personification of the positive change motivated young professionals can make in the legal industry and I sense Brennan’s career has barely begun. He was the winner of the Chief Justice’s Innovation Award (Vic) for his role is the development of the Supreme Court of Victoria’s cloud based case management system and was a shortlisted finalist for the LexisNexis Centenary Book Awards for authoring a book on dispute avoidance. Despite all these accolades, Brennan manages to maintain his casual demeanor, he is a huge fitness buff and travels often.
Through Law Advisor Brennan is using his deep understanding of technology and legal process to better allow the profession to provide access to justice.
In our conversation, we took a deep dive into many topics, including:
- The importance of figuring out your ‘why’ and staying true to it
- The problem of access in the legal industry, how it exists to serve mainly those with resources
- Why you should find your interests and go all in on them
- The downside of traditional work environments
- How imperative it is to have a good team behind you if you’re starting a business
- The challenge of working with risk averse lawyers in risk intensive situations (startups)
- The value of daily exercise, and finding a way to disconnect yourself from work
- The core element of LawAdvisor’s business
- The fallacy many people coming out of law school have about client relationships
- The need for the legal industry to do a better job breaking down barriers and linking up with potential clients
- Brennan’s Happiness Challenge!