Episode 56 -Professor John Flood on innovation, happiness and anthropology in the legal profession
In this episode of the Happy Lawyer, Happy Life podcast, I sat down over a peppermint tea with Professor John Flood who has such an amazing story of perhaps a less conventional life in the law! I was very much jealous of all his international travel, fascinating projects and the opportunity he has had to study and learn all over the world.
In this episode, John shares with us just a snippet of the incredible journey that the law has taken him on. It is not a traditional journey but very much an interesting one. He spends his time researching pretty much everyone he comes in contact with. John is an ‘innovation and technology in the legal profession’ master and is a true leader in this field. John’s life has not always been easy and he openly shares his struggle with depression and how he overcomes the challenges this brings.
In this episode we also talk about:
- How John’s career started with a dabble in the creative arts, including a debut in stand-up comedy and his dream to be an architect
- The changes that John would like to see in the legal profession and in the way that it is taught
- Growing up in the UK and ‘accidentally’ going to University and stumbling on Anthropology in law
- Falling in love with law, but not in the traditional sense, but with the research and the people involved
- The journey of travelling the world, going to Yale, studying law firms and then teaching ethics to students
- Co-founding Law Without walls; which an international program bringing together law firms, big business and law students to create collaborative pods that work together to create viable businesses which are both profit and ethically based.
- Collaboration within the law profession and how critical it is
- His diagnosis of clinical depression at 19 and the journey it has taken him on.
- John’s Happiness Tips and Challenge!
Sit back and enjoy- John has a beautiful accent, a wonderful way with words and is an incredible story teller so this is an interview to enjoy!