Episode 58 – The importance of surrounding yourself with good people with Dan Bottrell
In this week’s episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast I was joined by my good friend Dan Bottrell. Dan is a lawyer who loves the law and has a passion for family law. Dan’s career has taught him the importance of working well with clients as well as other lawyers. He shares with us how much he enjoys being in the collaborative community, being able to bounce ideas off his colleagues and using this approach to assist his clients.
Dan is also the walking and talking example of why looking after your health is so important in our professional lives and why it is so critical.
In this episode, Dan and I also talk about:
- Growing up on a farm in Mount Forbes and going to a local school.
- Early dreams of owning his own Harvey Norman, and how much learning there is to be had in large businesses.
- Lawyers being sales people and understanding the person you are selling to.
- The wonderful world of learning and the information degrees give you, helpful or not.
- Starting in at the Gold Coast at Attwood Marshall at Robina and what Dan learnt here.
- The importance of being surrounded by good people, good co-workers and great group leaders.
- Meeting his wife Jo as child and marrying her.
- The importance of having quality time rather than a quantity of time with your family.
- Orlena Moloney, Kate Graham and Dan Bottrell starting BGM Legal and passing the 100 day old anniversary in their new firm.
- The beauty of a small firm and the freedom that comes with shaping your business from the ground up.
- Backing yourself and surrounding yourself with people are prepared to push you.
- The how and why of Dan being a lawyer that loves the law.
- Having a community of professional peers around you in which you can confide in and bounce ideas off.
- Health being a huge passion of Dan. Making health and exercise a priority.
- The joys of being able to ‘give back’ either with clients or with other lawyers, barristers and professionals.
- Dan Bottrell’s “Happiness Tip” for the week.
Sit back and enjoy the laughs!