Episode 59 – Around the world and back again with legal innovator Terri Mottershead
This week on the Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast, I had the pleasure of interviewing lawyer Terri Mottershead who is an inspiration in the world of law! Terri’s career has taken her all around the globe- from Brisbane to Hong Kong to Houston and then my favourite, San Francisco. But more recently, Terri has found her way home to Queensland where in true innovator style she has spent the last 12 months working on a legal start-up- ‘The Centre for Legal Innovation’.
Terri’s many years working in firms and Universities around the globe have given her a wonderful depth of knowledge into the practice and business of law. All of this makes her the perfect person to lead the discussion on Innovation and the future of the legal profession through her work at the Centre. In addition to her incredible legal knowledge, Terri is just a wonderful person. She is warm, fun and funny. She has many great stories to share of her time in law and some wonderful insights on happiness too. Looking back on her career Terri poignantly notes that “where you start is not necessarily where you end up in your career” and that this is perhaps the most wonderful part of life (in and outside of law!)
In this episode, Terri and also spoke about:
- Terri’s dreams of wanting to sing in a band or doing something in the creative space (she should be in my Pantomime!)
- Her life learnings having grown up in Papua New Guinea and then transferring the Gold Coast for secondary school.
- Her beginnings as a commercial lawyer before the travel bug took hold!
- Life in Hong Kong for 13 years and her experience teaching at University.
- Terri’s move to America, jumping from Houston to San Francisco and the amazing opportunity to see Legal Practice USA style.
- The ups and downs of building a business from scratch- her life as a start-up with the Centre of Legal Innovation and her plans for the future.
- Terri’s predictions for the future for all of us in ‘law land’- from technology to client service.
- Why we should all dream our biggest dream and go out and chase them!
- Her greatest influence in life- Mother Teresa.
- And of course, Terri’s “Happiness Tip” for the week.
Sit back and enjoy Terri’s many insights into life, both in and outside of law.