Episode 62 – Influence, empowerment and purposeful living with Kay Feeney
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
On this weeks episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I had was able to speak with my good friend Kay Feeney. Kay is a lawyer running a boutique practice and over the years has seen and done so much when it comes to ‘law land’. She is a proud mum to 3 wonderful boys who are not that small any more (both in age and in height!)
It is Kay’s positive, kind and calm manner that was my reason to have her on the show. She began her career as a teacher and talked to me about how those skills have held her in good stead in her career as a family lawyer. Having experienced many years working in larger firms and more recently establishing her own practice, Kay shares many great tips on managing the different stresses our careers throw our way.
Kay has always had a calm outlook on life and thanks to this interview we can all share in some of her tools and tricks! She is all about having a good attitude, being purposeful and aware in all areas of your life. At the heart of this mindset is a common belief we share that although life comes with its ups and downs, we choose how we deal with things.
In this week’s episode Kay and I also also spoke about:
- Growing up in North Queensland and Kay’s life as a teacher before she became a lawyer.
- Her experience working in law firms in the 1980’s as one of the first females in her role (and some of the obstacles that this presented!)
- Becoming a Partner in her firm only 11 months post admission.
- The experience of motherhood, as a single mum and managing her career while raising three boys.
- Kay’s interesting career and how she has managed this all with a family.
- Sometimes feeling ‘This is too hard I can’t do it – but there is no one else to do it.’
- The habit of thought.
- Purposefully using our language in our everyday lives.
- Engaging with professionals in a different setting (outside of law) and the value in this.
- Kay’s health shift over the past few years and the positive impact this has had in both her and her boys lives.
- How important to have respect for all people we encounter.
- Kay’s career highlights.
- Studying, reading and owning your own future is very much a path that Kay encourages.
- Working purposefully in our practices to be better Lawyers.
- Her top tips for all new solicitors.
- Living a life that is full of purpose, attitude and awareness.
- Kay’s outlook of ‘There is no point.’ No point feeling tired or being angry. Just focus on what you need to do.
- And of course, Kay’s Happiness Challenge.
Sit back and enjoy Kay’s outlook on life and purpose.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.