Episode 64 – The balance and pleasures of business and family with Rebecca Lancaster
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I had great chat with lawyer Rebecca Lancaster. Rebecca has made wonderful choices in her short but efficient career. She finalised her law degree, started a family, and decided to buy her own practice, all within the space of a year!
Sometimes you meet someone and you are blown away by their passion, energy and drive. Rebecca is one of those people. Her motivation is inspirational! Rebecca is the proud owner of a bustling general practice, Maxwell & Lancaster in Warwick- a town of only 12,357 people (according to google!) Having grown up in a town of a similar size, before heading off to the ‘big smoke’ I was intrigued to learn from Rebecca about what life is like as a solicitor in a small practice in such a beautiful part of the Country. I must say I left this interview both inspired and amazed (and with a desire to move to Warwick to enjoy what sounds like a very sensible work/life balance!)
Rebecca’s mindset shines through as we speak. After a few unexpected (but beautiful) hurdles hitting her way before her career had even begun, Rebecca jumped on in and created her own path in law- taking on a practice almost before even finishing her degree. Her calmness and courage shines through and I can safely say she is one ‘happy lawyer’!
Rebecca and I also spoke about:
- Her life growing up in the small town of Warwick before moving around regional Qld.
- Life at Law School juggling motherhood, work and study.
- Rebecca went to QUT in Brisbane and spaced our her study.
- She started a law degree, then switched to a business and arts degree, and then came back to Law.
- Her courageous decision to buy a legal practice in Warwick before she was even a ‘proper lawyer’!
- Rebecca’s philosophy of ‘If you are going to do something go hard.’
- Rebecca’s predictions for the future in law over the next 20 years particularly for regional practice.
- The differences between rural and inner city law practices.
- The importance of a great mentor in your business and career.
- Why Rebecca always having something to look forward to…weekly!
- Setting your own goals for your family and be challenged not deflated when they don’t work out.
- And of course Rebecca’s happiness tip!
Sit back and enjoy Rebecca’s outlook and business, family and life in the law outside of the ‘Big City’!