Episode 69- Lawyer, Marketer and Communicator, Anthony Schiavo on happiness through living with no regrets
Welcome to 2018! I hope you have been enjoying a beautiful Xmas break and are ready for another year of adventures and many more ‘happy lawyers’! In this week’s episode of the show I was joined by lawyer, marketer and communicator, Anthony Schiavo. Anthony is the perfect podcast guest to bring in 2018! He is fun, vibrant and a great storyteller and has much to say about finding happiness and purpose in life. His career in law and the world of communication is such an inspirational story perhaps because he has followed what many would consider a very unconventional path. He shares his philosophy on living with no regrets and particularly how this mindset, coupled with very strong family values, have found him exploring the world.
Anthony began in law working in the public service back in the 80’s- becoming an early expert in Superannuation Law when it was new and developing in our country. Taking a chance when finishing Uni, moving to Canberra to take on a role in an area he knew nothing about was the first of many great ‘gut decisions’ Anthony has made that have led to him now becoming the State Manager of Mercer in Queensland. His work in the field of superannuation has enabled him to explore another of his passions in travel- having lived and worked all over the world throughout his career.
Anthony is another testament to my favourite saying- there are so many ways to be a lawyer. He is a lawyer but perhaps not in the traditional sense and talks widely about how his training in legal skills have held him in good stead as he has built a career as a marketer, communicator and manager.
When it comes to happiness, Anthony encourages us all to respect each other, culture and family and find value aligned relationships in all areas of life.
Anthony and I also spoke about:
- Growing up in New Farm, Brisbane with a traditional Italian family.
- Attending the University of Queensland and the joys that came with study
- Law or Medicine – the pride of an immigrant family
- His desire to travel to Italy as much as possible and how he has achieved this from his university days to now (including his part time job as a musician!)
- The importance of establishing networks
- How much we underestimate our communication skills in the law sector
- Anthony’s experience in marketing and private practice in Melbourne
- Highlight of global travel days
- Having courage and no regrets – what would happen if I don’t do this
- 12 years later Anthony’s Italian heritage became a major advantage in his career
- Working in Milan, Italy, – speaking only Italian and working Ferrero Rocher (yes the chocolate!!)
- How his legal training gave him the confidence to unpack and then work through a problem
- Anthony considers himself a Happy lawyer and attributes this to being true to himself
- The notion of Purpose and what this means for Anthony, ‘What you do is who you are’
- Favourite restaurant in Brisbane (other than his home cooking)
- Anthony ’s happiness tip.
Sit back and be inspired by Anthony as he shares his experiences with us in this vibrant conversation that will have you smiling into 2018!