Episode 8 – Turning Mistakes into Learnings and Opportunities with Bruce Thiele
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
My guest in this episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast is Bruce Thiele, a top mediator and barrister who’s mastered the art of balancing a happy personal life with a demanding career, as well as learning how to put the right priorities in place. Bruce is not only a successful family lawyer, he’s also an elite athlete and proud husband and father.
Like most journeys, Bruce’s has had plenty of ups and downs. However, he managed to learn from his mistakes and turn the negatives he’s experienced into positive opportunities. He now lives a happy, balanced life and here he shares his story with me as well as plenty of invaluable wisdom. Enjoy!
- Finding a way to help clients outside of the courts – how Bruce does it and why he thinks it’s important
- Bruce’s experiences doing the Ironman triathlons
- Moving away from litigation and focusing on mediation
- How transference from his work began to negatively affect Bruce in his personal life
- His decision to begin focusing more and more on mediation
- Health, fitness and sport: how they’ve helped Bruce and ways they can help to destress your working life
- Why you need to let your brain freespin from time to time
- How sport helps Bruce to remain enthusiastic about work
- The challenges Bruce sets for himself and why he does it
- Bruce on family: giving him perspective on what really matters
- How his personal experiences have helped Bruce to be a better family lawyer and to better help his clients
- Realising that everyone makes mistakes and how we can learn from them
- Bruce’s failed business ended in opportunity and reignited his passion for law
- Mentoring and how young lawyers can develop mentor relationships
- Bruce’s Happiness Challenge for this week!