Episode 85 – Barrister John Cahill on following your passions & finding your own path even if it feels like a ‘bain-marie’ of law!
This week I had the chance to sit down and laugh out loud for well over an hour with the wonderful, talented and entertaining John Cahill. John is now a Barrister but has had what he likes to call a ‘smorgasboard’ of a career in law, with a lot of fun along the way!
John is a wonderful story teller and a creative soul at heart and is another of my guests that has often questioned whether a career in the law is really for him. He could have pursued a career as a singer, writer and many other artistic endevours in between. But like so many of my guests, he has found a way to fill his life with law, his passions and wonderful people which has been his key to happiness.
John has perhaps had a unconventional path into the Barristers chambers but is another wonderful example of how each experience in our lives can shape us and nothing we do is wasted.
John and I also spoke about:
- If John was not a lawyer he would have been a writer or a singer (and in good news he still does both when he is not being a lawyer!);
- John and I spoke extensively about creativity and the law, and the importance of allowing his creativity into his life in the law;
- John’s early years as a lawyer in Brisbane before a move to the ‘big smoke’ of Sydney;
- John’s experiences in private practice and later at the Aboriginal Legal Service in Sydney- a role that provided great challenge and joy;
- Moving his mother’s admission- a highlight for John and the influence his family has had on his life.
- We discussed Johns ‘bain-marie’ style of law- how moving between different practice areas is now invaluable given his role at the Bar;
- John’s decision to complete the Bar Course and return to Brisbane and all the joys and challenges that come with being a Barrister;
- Having confidence in the law and letting your mistakes shape you;
- Allowing your seniors and colleagues to guide and mentor you;
- How important the community of chambers are to Barristers;
- The importance of curiosity as a barrister;
- John’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy the every entertaining, John Cahill.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here