Episode 89 -The importance of ‘Just being a good human’ in life and law with Barrister Anna Bertone
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Barrister Anna Bertone. Anna was born in Italy and moved to Australia at a young age and spent the first few years of her legal career in Western Australia. After a move to sunny Queensland around 11 years ago now Anna had to ‘start again’ as a lawyer here in Brisbane but now has a bustling practice at the Bar primarily as a family lawyer.
As a wife and mum to 3 vibrant girls, Anna shared her tips on the juggle but also the importance of having great support around you. Anna shares with us why she loves being a Barrister and how she is able to keep the joy and silliness in her life outside of the law.
The motto of Anna Bertone’s career and life has been to ‘just be a good human’, and this is a motto which like to live my life by! Kindness and compassion in our lives can be easier than within the legal profession however Anna perfectly encapsulates this motto. She is living proof that you can have a sucsessful legal career and still be a kind human being to all those whom you work with no matter what side of the argument you might be on.
- If Anna was not a lawyer she would have been a teacher!
- Anna’s early life in Australia as the daughter of Italian immigrants.
- Anna’s decision to follow a career in law.
- The differences between the role of a ‘lawyer’ in WA and QLD.
- Solicitor Advocates and Barrister Advocates and how these roles have changed over the last 10 years.
- The reason that Anna has found herself in family law.
- When is the right time to become a barrister?
- How Anna’s husband has supported her throughout her career and how important this has been to her success.
- The concept of perfection as a woman and how this shapes our career.
- Familiarity can bring calm and it is a wonderful tool that comes with age.
- Anna said her motto is ‘just be a good human’ – I love this!
- When she is not a Barrister Anna loves to indulge in Karaoke!
- The importance of surrounding yourself with good and silly people you can be yourself with.
- How sometimes happiness means sifting through the people in your life who do not give you joy.
- Tough times in Anna’s career and how she was able to overcome them.
- The need to ‘pull your drawbridge up’ at the end of the day and detach from your career and focus on your home life.
- Technology and its role in our lives and families
- A day in the life of Anna as a barrister.
- Tips for young lawyers coming into the profession.
- Living your life with a bit of kindness.
- Anna’s Happiness Tip!
Sit back and enjoy this wonderful conversation with Barrister Anna Bertone
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here