Episode 9- Finding happiness by prioritising life outside the law with lawyer Anne-Marie Rice
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast I’m really proud to be interviewing my very good friend and a true inspiration of mine, Anne-Marie Rice. Like me, Anne-Marie is a family lawyer. She is well-known in the legal industry for her intellect and insight, and has held executive positions in some of family law’s most significant committees. She also teaches at the University of Queensland and is one of only five women among the Australian Fellows of the prestigious International Academy of Family Lawyers.
Besides her impressive career, she’s also had to overcome significant health challenges that have made her reassess her approach to the legal industry and how she balances work with her family life. In this conversation she shares her journey with me and divulges plenty of wisdom on overcoming the obstacles that many people working in law are faced with on a day-to-day basis.
Here are some of the key topics we get into:
- Anne-Marie’s fascination with psychology and how she incorporates that into her legal work
- Her ability to understand people, how they think and feel, and why that’s so important as a lawyer
- How her illness forced her to reflect, slow down and change her approach to life and work
- Discovering collaborative practice
- The client-centric approach vs. the core and litigation processes – how to tap into this approach in order to really help people
- Anne-Marie’s teaching roles, and how she encourages her students to consider the humanistic approach in law
- Prioritising self and roles outside of work
- The stress of combining work and home-life, and the difficulty in striving for perfection in both
- Anne-Marie’s advice on dealing with the stress of ‘law land’
- Keeping an optimistic outlook on life
- Anne-Marie’s five things that bring happiness to her on a daily basis
- The profound influence that music has on all of us
- Creativity as the essence of life
- Top advice to young female lawyers
- Anne-Marie’s Happiness Challenge!