Episode 93 – Barristers Andrew and Simone Fraser on law, life and a the importance of a sense of humour (or perhaps just some bad jokes!)
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Andrew and Simone Fraser- a Barrister duo who are partners both in Law and in Life! I have come to know Andrew and Simone this year and am so glad that our paths have crossed- these two make me smile- Andrew with his dry, intelligent wit and Simone with her boundless optimism! I couldn’t resist asking how they ended up ‘husband and wife’ and will leave you to enjoy that annecdote (and the visual of Andrew’s long locks!)
Both Simone and Andrew have disabilities that have them both requiring the use of wheelchairs however you will soon learn that these two let nothing hold them back. Andrew has been at the Bar for a good few years now and largely specialises in estate litigation. Simone is a specialise family lawyer. Both share chambers in Brisbane and have founded a unique chamber group on the Gold Coast, French Quarter Chambers- which brings together a diverse range of talented local Barristers in the Gold Coast Region (and may also be known for its wonderful events and gatherings for the local legal community!)
Andrew and Simone are both ‘happy lawyers’ and I think we can all learn so much from their positive, go with the flow attitude. Both spoke about the importance of not getting stuck on the ‘small stuff’ in life and focusing on what really matters at the end of the day- family, friends and the ‘fun stuff’- for Andrew mindless TV and for Simone a good bottle of champagne!
Andrew and Simone Fraser and I also spoke about:
- Simone would have been a singer if she was not a lawyer and she still enjoys a good sing-a-long in the car!
- Andrew cannot imagine life without law and does not see himself doing anything else.
- Andrew shared his early life growing up in Brisbane and his desire to follow in his Father’s footsteps from an early stage.
- Simone and I discussed her path to law and her early life on the Gold Coast.
- Andrew and Simone are both in wheelchairs and met as children. After re-connecting on a night out in the city the rest has become history
- Simone has cerebral palsy and we discussed what this meant for her growing up and for her career in the law.
- Andrew has a progressive muscle weakness disease and is also in a wheelchair.
- We discussed the practicalities of working in the Court in wheelchairs and managing its daily challenges
- Andrew had a clear vision of becoming a lawyer from a young age and early on and always wanted to become a Barrister. He shares with us what he enjoys about the role.
- Simone, has has varying roles over her career and I was most jealous of her time spent working in Paris!
- Both Andrew and Simone obtained Associateships in the Supreme Court in Queensland early in their legal careers.
- Their decision to establish chambers on the Gold Coast.
- How Andrew manages stress in his life in and outside of the law.
- Having a partner who is also a barrister and how this works within their home.
- The perspective that comes with living with a physical disability and the home life dynamic.
- When Simone and Andrew are not being lawyers they enjoy family time and good food!
- The importance of blocking out your holidays.
- Andrew shares a story of interviewing for an associate position in the High Court with none other that Michael Kirby!
- Andrew’s tips for young lawyers coming through the Bar.
- The predicted changes for the future in Chambers including the idea of eChambers.
- Tips on contentment and happiness from Andrew and Simone Fraser.
- Andrew and Simone Fraser’s Happiness Tips for the week
Sit back and enjoy this interview with the inspirational Andrew and Simone Fraser
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside
of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here