Episode 96 – Life at the Commercial Bar (with some neuroscience on the side!) with Barrister Steven Hogg
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing commercial Barrister Steven Hogg. Steven and I hit it off immediately (in the podcast interview sense!) with a common love of neuroscience! …I know- of all the things to have in common! In his day job Steven is an accomplished advocate, working in the commercial sphere here in Brisbane. However in his ‘other life’ he is a Husband, Dad and friend and during this interview he shared many great insights on how he manages to combine all of these roles and how each is central to his happiness.
Steven started his working life as a social worker and I sense this has given him great skills and insights that he continues to use today in his role as a Barrister. A decision in his mid twenties had him back at University studying law and he hasn’t looked back since.
This was a fun and easy interview. Steven shared many great tips and insights on happiness, great lawyering and generally enjoying life!
Steven Hogg and I also spoke about:
- How if he was not a lawyer Steven would have been a neurobehavioral scientist! (try saying that 3 times quickly!)
- Neuroscience and how a knowledge of brain chemistry can really help with our clients and in the Court room.
- Steven’s life growing up in Brisbane.
- His early career as a social worker and his experience working in London as a social worker.
- How Steven came to study law on his return to Australia from London.
- The process in which the law is taught to students and the contrast between the study of law and the practice of law.
- Steven became an Associate for a Judge after finishing his Law studies and how this role influenced his decision to go to the Bar later in his career.
- Steven’s early experience in general practice which led to a discussion about fixed pricing (because you know me!)
- Steven’s career in insurance law and later commercial law- which has remained his area of practice ever since!
- Stevens transition to the Bar in 2005 and his lift since. He shared his enjoyment of the freedom that comes from life at the Bar and the ability to integrate work with his family life.
- What it is that Steven loves about commercial law, particulalry at the Bar.
- Steven shares an interesting story about a Section 38 Matter !
- Steven’s insights on ‘happy lawyers’ those who are able to go with the flow and take the surprises with a grain of salt.
- We of course discussed happiness- being passionate about health, Steven believes that exercise is central to managing stress.
- Steven encourages us to spend time with people we enjoy and indulge in a bit of humor
- Steven’s Happiness Tips – all 3 of them!
Sit back and enjoy this fun and easy interview with Steven Hogg.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside
of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here