Episode 99 – Lawyer & Author Emma Heuston on how a seachange led to happiness
If you are a little like me there are probably days in your working week where you imagine what life might look like if you could live a laptop lifestyle- where you could enjoy working from the beach, or a cafe or even your bed! Well my guest this week does just that. Lawyer Emma Heuston is living proof that you can be a great lawyer and never have to leave the comfort of your own home! Emma is a commercial lawyer and a Practice Leader at Legal Vision but lives and works from Northern NSW about 20 minutes from my family home.
Having lived the hustle and bustle of life in Sydney, Emma and her husband made the decision one day to throw in life in the city and move north to create a better balance in their work and home lives and their little boy. Fast forward a few years, Emma and her family are now living that dream, with Emma recently releasing a book ‘The Tracksuit Economy’ sharing her experience and many great tips for anyone interested in embracing flexible and remote working arrangements.
Thanks to Legal Vision Emma has been able to continue her role as a commercial lawyer using simple tech tools to run a team from the comfort of her own home. I loved the simplicity with which Emma described her set up- there is nothing particularly fancy when it comes to the tech required to do her job but the secret, I think, is all in her attitude. To make an arrangement like remote working viable for both a business and an employee, respect for the needs of each other is key. Emma’s story will inspire anyone who is looking at different ways of working to jump in and give it a go!
Emma Heuston and I also spoke about:
- If Emma was not a lawyer she would have been a writer! (and thanks to her new book she is!)
- Emma grew up on her parents banana and passion fruit farm in northern NSW not too far from where she lives now.
- Emma knew from a young age that she wanted to be a lawyer, she headed off to University before finding her way to Sydney.
- Starting out in family law, Emma later made the shift to commercial law and really enjoyed the change of direction.
- While living in Sydney, Emma had a stressful pregnancy and decided that a change of pace for her career would be the best thing for her growing family.
- We discussed the sea change of Northern NSW and how it has effected her family and work life
- Emma works for Legal Vision and was their first remote staff member. She explains how that has worked for her and Legal Vision.
- Author of the eBook ‘The Tracksuit Economy’ Emma book tells us of her freelance journey with tips from working from home.
- The pros of working from home, in particular the increased productivity.
- Emma’s experience in writing a book.
- The traits and habits of having a flexible work space and Emma’s tips and tricks for making it work for you and your employer.
- Systems that Emma and Legal Vision have implemented to create this opportunity for their staff members.
- Emma has found increased happiness in her current arrangements and has a huge passion for sharing this with all her colleagues.
- Law has a natural adversarial culture and we discussed the negative impact this has on us all.
- When Emma has time to herself she loves to read and going to her local beach in Northern NSW.
- Emma shares what is next for her including another book on the horizon.
- How having side interests is a wonderful way to increase your daily dose of happiness.
- Emma’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Emma Heuston (and her lovely dogs Barnaby and Lulu!)
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside
of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here