Episode 2 – Mindfulness in Law with Fiona Caulley
My guest in the second episode of Happy Lawyer Happy Life is the inspirational Fiona Caulley. Fiona is a talented family lawyer and is a Senior Associate at Phillips Family Law in Brisbane, where she provides specialist legal advice, care and guidance to people experiencing relationship breakdown.
Outside of her legal career, Fiona is incredibly passionate about food, fashion and mindfulness. In fact, she incorporates her mindfulness practice into her everyday work which allows her to manage the stresses that usually come with being a lawyer, connect better with her clients and find real enjoyment in her profession.
Here, Fiona shares some of her experiences with mindfulness and how it has benefited her career and working life. There are some real gems in this episode and it’s going to be really useful for anyone interested in finding ways of decreasing their stress levels and living in the moment… even at work!
In this episode we get really into:
- Fiona’s experiences as a divorce lawyer
- How she originally became interested in mindfulness
- Fiona’s interests in diet, yoga and nutrition, and how they benefit her in everyday life
- The period in her life when she was surviving but not thriving
- The importance of mentoring in law
- The right skill sets required to cope
- Why lawyers need to learn how to “switch off” in order to feel energised
- How to find the time to be healthy
- The importance of creating a positive culture in the work environment
- Fiona’s tip on taking morning teas at work
- The science and statistics behind mindfulness
- How you can bring mindfulness into your workplace
- Why you need to focus on the task at hand – and how you can do it
- Recharging your batteries
- The art of persuasion
- Mindfulness in communication
- The importance of creativity in law
- Creating an environment where you can thrive
- Fiona’s tips for people thinking of getting into law
- The happiness challenge for this week nominated by Fiona
HAPPY LAWYER HAPPY LIFE
RESOURCES + LINKS
Your Happiness Challenge for the week!
Each week my guests will share a ‘Happiness Challenge’- something simple that you can do each day to bring a little bit of Happiness to your life!
So this week Fiona’s challenge to us all is for us to be ‘purposefully present’ with our loved ones each day. Put down those phones, computers and other devices and turn off the TV and get to chatting! As life runs away from us we often overlook our loved ones first so this week, take the time to enjoy a few moments together. You can share your experiences with me on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and you may even find a ‘Happy’ token of appreciation in the mail!