Episode 83 – Taking Collaborative Practice to personal injuries with Fran Keyes and Jim Tealby
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by two great lawyers in Fran Keyes and Jim Tealby. Fran and Jim have just launched their business, Keyes Tealby Legal and by ‘just’ I mean they are only officially 2 weeks in!!
I first met Fran and Jim earlier this year as they were planning their new legal adventure and I have come to know them as dedicated, kind and considered lawyers who both share a deep passion for their clients. It is this passion that brought each of them to law and that is driving their mutual desire to offer something new and different for their clients. After atleast 40 combined years of practice in PI with a focus on workers compensation matters, Fran and Jim have launched a practice that will offer collaborative solutions to their clients. As a Collaborative Family Lawyer I am cheering them on from the sidelines as I am confident the collaborative legal process has much to offer in many areas of law outside of the Family Law space.
Fran and Jim each shared with me their lives in the law to date. Fran spoke openly about the challenges she faced during 2017 that left her questioning her future in law. But those same challenges are now in part responsible for the exciting new step she and Jim are embarking on!
We did have to share two microphones between the 3 of us so apologies for our at times muffled sound but I am sure you will be smiling along with me as these two are great fun!
Fran, Jim and I also spoke about;
- If Fran was not a lawyer she would have been a educator or a Psychologist and Jim would have been a mathematician!
- Jim grew up right here in Brisbane in a family of 5 children- he hasn’t really left (and I had lots of chuckles that his move for a short period a few suburbs to the west is a life highlight for Jim!)
- Fran’s early life in Townsville and Papua New Guinea and the impact her parents have had on her life.
- How they both found their way to law.
- Fran and Jim both shared their experiences early in their career and how they first met when working at Minter Ellison in the same team many years ago now.
- Fran discusses the challenges and joys of being a woman in the law- as a mother of 4 children how she has made it all work!
- The impact of others on our careers- how we work for people, not brands.
- Collaborative Practice, Mediation and how the future of law will require us to think differently as practitioners.
- Thinking of clients as consumers, and looking at different ways of solving their problems.
- Their many learnings already having set up a business.
- Jim’s Happiness Tip
- Fran’s Happiness tip
Sit back and relax and enjoy this wonderful pair as they embark on a very exciting and new stage of their already wonderful careers.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here