Episode 84 – Finding happiness in life’s juggle with Genevieve Dee
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by the wonderful Genevieve Dee. Aside from being a great lawyer, Gen is a mother of twins, step mum to 2 more, partner in life and then partner in law too, so in short, someone juggling it all! Gen and I bonded over babies and prioritising work and home, which was ironic as half way through this podcast we were joined by my new daughter Daisy who decided to make her presence known!
Gen has had a great career in ‘law land’ finding her feet in family law early on and later taking on partnership at a leading Queensland firm in Cooper Grace Ward. This has been no easy achievement and is a testament to Gen’s dedication, talent and passion for her work.
As a partner at Cooper Grace Ward, Gen is a living example of how important flexible work practices are to all of us. And despite a few ups and downs, she is making it all work- a great example for anyone wondering how you can manage partnership in a high performing legal practice and the joys of parenting all in one!
This interview has a bit of everything along with the real life juggle we were both experiencing to even make the interview happen! But in her true style, Gen gives a frank account of what it takes to make her life work and how she finds happiness in the chaos!
Genevieve and I also spoke about;
- If Genevieve was not a lawyer she would be unhappy! She has always wanted to be a lawyer or a ballet dancer!
- Gen grew up in Brisbane and describes her childhood as pretty ‘normal’.
- Commercial litigation was where Gen started and she reflects that she never wanted to practice in family law, but early in her career, an opportunity saw her move to Kingaroy where she was first introduced to family law and she soon found she loved the connection she could have with people.
- The study of Law and the practice of Law are so different and it can change so quickly.
- The importance of looking after yourself but having empathy in the work we do.
- Life in small firms vs life in larger firms- some of Gen’s observations & why we all need to focus on the right fit for us.
- Being a Mum to her ’emperors’, her twin boys and how this works with her other life as a partner in a law firm.
- Gen’s tips for being a mother and balancing a career (ironic as this when Daisy, my new born joined us)
- Genevieve shares her experience of having a risky pregnancy and how this threw her plans at the time.
- Prioritising you work and home life- how it changes each day.
- We discussed the importance of health and it’s advantages.
- Gen gives us her tips for managing the stresses of daily life.
- How to deal with the moments in your career where you need help.
- As Daisy joined us again, we spoke a little more about motherhood and the support Gen has around her.
- ‘The nights are long but the years are fast’ – Gen encourages us all to go easy on ourselves and be in the moment.
- And of course Gen’s upcoming starring role in Dancing CEO’s!
- Gen’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy the delightful Genevieve Dee.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here