Episode 3 – Happiness in Work through Better Managing Your Time with Matthew Burgess
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
My guest in this episode is the awesome and inspiring Matthew Burgess. Matthew’s been a “Law Land” idol of mine for a while now and it was great to be able to sit down and chat with him. In 2014, he co-founded View Legal – a specialist, results-focused law firm committed to a type of law that friends would choose. Beforehand, he worked for 17 years at McCullough Robertson where he rose through the ranks to become one of the youngest partners in the firm’s history.
Like many lawyers, Matthew’s experienced some real highs and lows in his career. But he’s come through all of his struggles by employing some simple healthy-living techniques, as well as moving from timesheet billing to a fixed price model. Here he explains to me how he made this shift and the significant changes it made to his professional world and his personal life.
Matthew shares some great, practical advice that would be invaluable for anyone stuck in a rut in their work, finding themselves working too many hours and experiencing burnout. There’s plenty in this one so be sure to take notes!
In this episode we talk about:
- Matthew’s journey to becoming a lawyer
- The problem of burnout in the legal profession
- Depression in the industry
- Why you should always learn from failure
- Matthew’s 90-day business cycle model
- The importance of moving from timesheet billing to fixed price for your business
- Matthew’s roadshow workshops
- Having an outcome-focused approach
- The link between timesheet billing and depression
- What Matthew’s learned from writing children’s books
- Matthew’s business book, The Dream Enabler
- The changing landscape of experience in the law industry
- How to maintain health while working long hours
- Matthew on resting and eating well
- The importance of regular exercise
- Why being happy and healthy is best for your working life and those close to you
- Matthew’s happiness challenge to you for the week