Episode 67- Answering the question, ‘What works for you?’ with Laura Vickers
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by Laura Vickers who is a mum, entrepreneur and wife. Laura is a creative soul and there are many similarities in how we approach ‘law land’ and life and mix the two together! Laura started her online law firm, Nest Legal, off the back of having her first child and losing her mum, all at the same time. Laura’s priority has been to make her career and work fit to her lifestyle, rather than the other way around.
Laura is a happy lawyer and has taken ownership of her future. She is my poster girl for my HAPPY acronym. Her ‘Attitude’ is reflected in all she says and does and she has purposefully created a career in the law that works for her, her family and her team. She has been rewarded as a result- both in having a successful business doing work that she loves but also in the tangible sense- having been formally recognised for her innovative approach to business and her work as a woman lawyer.
This was a fun conversation and if you listen hard enough you will hear the trams bustling along outside Laura’s office! Laura’s pragmatic approach to law and life will keep you smiling! Laura puts it best- be purposeful, do what works for you, no matter what that looks like.
Laura and I also spoke about:
- How much Laura would love own a brewery.
- Growing up in county Victoria and attending boarding school which made her independent from a young age.
- Laura chose law after she studied journalism as she thought it would help her career, but fell in love with Law.
- After losing a family member, having a child and not being able to get child care Laura opened her own online firm, Nest Legal.
- How, as a business owner, it is so important to look at what the consumer wants.
- Being available for her clients is so important and communicating with them at times what work with them.
- Business owner or a lawyer?
- Do what works for you and your family.
- Letting go of the parts of life you can’t control.
- Laura’s greatest influences.
- Goals for the future – both family and business.
- Attitude – being aware of what you are putting out there.
- Laura’s parenting tips for families and business.
- Laura’s happiness tip.
Sit back and be inspired to be who you want to be with Laura!