Episode 75 – Paul Catchlove on his intriguing career from Priest to Funds Management to Law
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I interviewed (almost) lawyer Paul Catchlove. I first met Paul last year and the minute I heard him speak, knew we needed him on the show! His career path is extraordinary but more importantly he is a down to earth, kind and very funny person that has so many wonderful insights for us all.
Paul was an absolute delight to interview. We could have talked for hours and it is his career so far that had me absolutely intrigued.
Paul started his career as a Catholic Priest and even worked with the Pope. I loved hearing about Paul’s years in the Church- the study, routines, projects and then his life back here in Queensland as a Priest. But it was Paul’s decision to leave the church and pursue a career in the business world that has led him to study law.
In this day and age, the idea of having 3 quite distinct careers in varied industries is perhaps the norm but it is the skills that Paul has carried through each of the different parts of his ‘work world’ that have helped him land valuable roles both during his law studies and now as an almost admitted Graduate.
There are lessons in this interview for all of us- from following your passions to changing your path but that nothing is wasted along the way. Paul has continued to use all of the skills from each stage in his life to add value to others and advance his career.
Paul and I also spoke about:
- If Paul was not a lawyer he would be (and was) a Catholic Priest or in funds management or singing opera!
- In his dream land, he would be an ice hockey player (and you will be content to know he is off training now to achieve this dream!)
- Paul grew up in Brisbane and attended St Laurence’s College in South Brisbane
- He attended the local parish Our Lady of Lourdes at Sunnybank
- Paul was heavily involved in the church and shared with us his experience of growing up in the Catholic church
- Paul always wanted to make a difference in the world and this calling helped him make the choice to become a priest
- What it was like joining the seminary for 7 years and the adventures Paul had around the world as a result
- The realities of living in monastery while in Rome
- Learning so many languages (4 modern and 2 Ancient)
- Working with Pope Bennedict
- The importance of working, in any job, and it’s value.
- Paul’s decision to leave the priesthood and pursue life in the business world before starting to complete his law studies
- Rachel Field (who I interviewed in Episode 19) was a true inspiration for Paul and part of his decision to pursue a career in law
- How you can use the transferable skills from each stage in your life to add value to others and advance your career
- Paul’s encouragement to young students, and the transition from Uni to the real world
- How Paul ended up in the world of Legal Tech and his work now in building the Brisbane chapter of ‘Legal Hackers’
Sit back and enjoy what has certainly been one of the most interesting and intriguing careers I have heard about so far on the show! (And a great guest too!)
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here