Episode 77- Choosing happiness by leaving the traditional law behind to build a ‘new law’ practice with Shelby Timmins
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by former Sydney lawyer and now ‘solopreneur’ Shelby Timmins. I have known Shelby for a while now and we share a passion for people and the law. Both of us have seen the devastation that divorce and separation can have on families. It was the motivation for the writing of my book Splitsville and has inspired Shelby to start her ‘new law’ business Divorce Done Differently.
Shelby Timmins is a family lawyer who has now made a move entirely away from litigation to coaching, mediation and collaboration. ‘Giving yourself permission to do it’ is a something Shelby said in this interview. It really encapsulates her career to date. She has continued to study, continued to learn and continued to share her insight and talent to help others, not for the benefit of herself but to genuinely help separating families.
I walked away from this podcast with Shelby feeling so motivated and inspired. She has a wonderful outlook on life and business and has made some big decisions in the last few years to ensure she is living a life she is proud of.
Shelby and I also spoke about:
- How Shelby would be a lolly shop owner if she wasn’t a lawyer (our mutual love of sugar is obvious!)
- Born in Sydney, Shelby moved to start her University education in Tasmania.
- Law was the safe option for Shelby. She loved speaking to people and wanted to make a difference.
- Shelby attended the University of Tasmania and spoke with me about the impact that the University mentor program had on the start of her law life.
- Shelby’s early career in Sydney after a few years living & working in Tasmania and her experience working in major claims insurance.
- Shelby’s decision to move into family law.
- Shelby’s husband is an aeronautical engineer whose work took them all over the world.
- While living in England, Shelby worked for a small family law firm.
- The decision to return to Australia and settle in Sydney to start a family.
- Shelby’s decision to leave the traditional practice of law and start her now business, Divorce Done Differently a business which has enabled her more freedom to enjoy her family and passions.
- Life as a working Mum, highlights in her career and how she spends her free time!
- The modern role of a lawyer and the importance of understanding the true values and interests of our clients-
- including our discussion of The ‘Monkey Business Illusion‘ and the book “Getting to Yes“
- Shelby’s Happiness Tip for the week.
Sit back and enjoy this week’s Podcast with Shelby Timmins
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here