Episode 68- The importance of health and wellness when managing the challenges of the job with The Honourable Shane Marshall
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by the Honourable Shane Marshall, former Judge of the Federal Court of Australia. After 20 years on the Bench practicing primarily in Industrial Relations law, I would suggest he has earned his retirement, but I learned in this interview that Justice Marshall continues to practice law, both as an acting Judicial Officer but also in many other advisory roles.
In recent years Justice Marshall has become a strong advocate for those members of our profession who are managing mental health conditions including depression after having himself managed those same challenges during his time on the bench. It takes great courage to speak openly on these issues- while as a profession we are perhaps more aware than ever before of the difficulties we each face thanks to the jobs we have chosen, I still sense there is a way to go in better understanding how we can help each other in managing these very challenges health concerns.
Justice Marshall has had a distinguised career in the law that is far from being over. He spoke with a smile on his face about the time he is able to enjoy now with his grandchildren whilst still keeping his foot in the legal pool through his acting Judicial roles.
Justice Marshall and I also spoke about:
- Growing up in bayside Melbourne and his dream to be in Journalism
- How he fell into a career in law and life at University in the 1970’s
- How he found his way into Industrial Relations law for a very early stage in his career
- His early life at the Bar
- His time on the Federal Court from 1995-2015 including some of the highlights, memorable cases and also the challenges of the role
- His advocacy for change in the profession to better support the mental health of all lawyers
- The topic of depression and the support received from colleagues
- His legal life now as a semi-retired judge
- The joy of becoming a grandfather and the importance of family
- His tips for finding the balance in work and life and his practice of protecting one day a week with no work
- His passion for AFL and horse racing.
- Doing your best and backing yourself.
- Advice and tips for all of us on happiness and making the best in your career no matter our age or stage.
Sit back and enjoy as Justice Marshall shares a few of his memories and his fascinating career in the law.