Episode 90 – Happily living out a life in the Law with Alison Allen
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing my colleague Alison Allen. Alison is a Collaborative Family Lawyer here in my firm at Brisbane Family Law Centre. As I have been off having a baby over the last few months I have probably only spent 1 full day with Alison since she joined our firm! It was really lovely to be able to sit down with Alison and get to know her a little better.
Alison and I share so many interests from Gorman clothing to Rollie shoes and dancing- all of which I did not know until recently! But we also have in common a deep love for the work that we do as lawyers. Alison is a talented Lawyer, with a real passion for Family Law and for helping others, however she does not allow this consume her life outside of the law. I have come to learn that Alison is ‘unflappable’ at work- she maintains her calm no matter the situation and in this interview I explored just how she has come to do this.
Alison and her husband Brad (and his amazing baking skills) have been a welcome addition to the team at BFLC and I am glad I had the chance to interview her this week.
Alison Allen and I also spoke about:
- If Alison was not a lawyer she would have been a hair dresser, which surprised me, I thought she would have been a ballroom dancer!
- Alison grew up in Ipswich and shares with us her experience growing up there.
- A trip to court when Alison was young founded her dream to be become a lawyer.
- Alison moved to Brisbane to complete her dual degree of commerce and law.
- Alison’s passion for dancing – surprise surprise we have bonded over this!
- Starting out at the age of 4, Alison has become a wonderful ballroom dancer and has been able to keep this a part of her life even now.
- Her decision to pursue her first role in law far from home in Mackay, North Queensland.
- Life as a lawyer in a regional Centre vs the City.
- We diverted onto the topic of fashion in the legal sector because… well just because!
- Trends in the legal practice between Brisbane and Mackay
- Alison tells us how she met her husband in Mackay in a ballroom dancing class!
- The dynamic in our office with our colleagues, we call it the BFLC family.
- What has helped Alison get through those more difficult momentsas a lawyer.
- Alison’s tips for staying calm in a stressful environment.
- Happiness in the law and for Alison’s life outside of the law.
- Alison gives us some tips for lawyers starting out in their legal career.
- Creative endevours and, again, the importance of having a creative outlet.
- Those who have influenced Alison’s career.
- Alison’s Happiness Tip!
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Alison Allen.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here