Episode 79 – Lawyer turned CEO Dominique Lamb on the importance of health, happiness and purpose in business and in law
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by CEO of the National Retailers Association, Dominique Lamb. Continuing with the ‘International Women’s Day‘ theme for March, Dominique was such an interesting guest to interview and had so much to say about life, law and the need for more women in senior business roles nationwide.
Dominique described how she found herself in the role of a CEO almost by chance. I learned about a ‘day in her life’ which I must say sounds like it is well extending her legal training as she takes on media, leadership, advocacy and mentorship. When it comes to happiness Dominique had much to share- she is a happy lawyer and credits much of that to her focus on health, exercise and self care. She clearly operates at an intense level in her work and yet I found her to have a deep sense of purpose and calm which I suspect is one of the secrets to her success.
This was a wonderful interview with a woman lawyer who we can all learn from.
Dominique and I also spoke about:
- If she was not a lawyer, Dominique would have been a travel blogger!
- Growing up in the western suburbs of Sydney, living with her extended family including her dutch grandparents.
- Dominique’s experience in Sydney studying arts and law.
- Dominique always wanted to help people- it was this that brought her to the law.
- Starting out in building and construction law before shifting to employment law.
- Following her then ‘dream job’ to Queensland and taking up residence here in Brisbane.
- How Dominique ‘fell into’ the CEO role at the National Retailers Association and the role of the organisation nation wide.
- A day in her life as a CEO.
- How law has given Dominique a good foundation for the responsibilities of a CEO.
- The role of women in senior business roles nationwide and Dominique’s thoughts on this. She notes that less than 8% of senior leadership roles are filled by Women.
- Dominique is passionate about changing gender equity in CEO positions.
- The client experience and consumer habits in retail, but how this is also applicable to the modern practice of law.
- The next steps for Dominique.
- Dominique has purposefully made steps to ensure the things that bring her happiness are worked into her busy schedule.
- The importance of health- and how after experiencing some serious health concerns, Dominique started competing in body building.
- The confidence and tools body building has given her for her role as a CEO and lawyer.
- Changing the culture in law for the work-aholic lifestyle including changes in the workforce and the accountability around work hours and working from home.
- Dominique’s tips for those who are coming into the law.
- Dominique’s happiness tip
Sit back and relax and enjoy the inspirational Dominique Lamb.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here