Episode 78 – Passion, travel and gardening (and of course some talk of law on the side) with Rebecca Treston QC
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by Barrister, Rebecca Treston QC. This episode coincides with ‘International Women’s Day‘ which is particularly fitting given that Rebecca embodies all that I would consider a modern lawyer.
As Queen’s Counsel there is no doubting Rebecca’s career success, but in this interview it was her down to earth attitude, practical advice and passion for the law that had me hooked. Like so many of us in law, Rebecca is juggling motherhood, career, friendships and family and she does it all with a smile!
As a Senior member of the profession, Rebecca has built a very successful niche practice in the area of Succession Law but in this conversation I learned so much more about how and why she came to the law and still has the same passion for her work now as she did all those years ago when she first stepped foot in her Father’s firm.
Rebecca and I also spoke about:
- If Rebecca was not a lawyer (which she always wanted to be) she would otherwise be a farmer!
- Her experience growing up in QLD with a large family.
- It was Rebecca’s father’s career as a solicitor that sparked her interest in the law.
- How Rebecca went to live in the United States at 17 and completed year 12 (again!) which ignited her passion for travel.
- Her experience at law school before starting her law career as an articled clerk in the firm with her father (and the pros and cons of being the daughter of your boss)
- Rebecca’s decision to start a career at the Bar at a young age
- Getting married and having 4 children within 5 years (yikes!) and how she and her husband have managed the ‘juggle’.
- What she loves about life at the Bar.
- Her life outside of the law- health, gardening, family and travel!
- Rebecca’s advice to young lawyers considering a career at the Bar.
- Rebecca’s happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this week’s episode with Rebecca Treston on International Women’s day!
This week is also an important one for my show as I welcome a new partner in Lexis Nexis- a brand many of you will recognised as a market leader in the legal space. For many years now Lexis Nexis have been supporting and promoting the rule of law internationally through research, technology and information. I am very proud to have their support in continuing to bring these episodes to you.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here