Episode 101 – Lawyer, Artist and Fashion Expert Brianna McDougall on knowing when to pivot for your own happiness
It may have taken me two years to organise but this week I finally got to sit down with wonderful Brianna McDougall- lawyer, artist and Fashion expert! If you are an Instagram addict like me you may already know Brianna thanks to her very successful ‘side hustle’ “LawyersFashion”- an instagram account now website and business. I caught Brianna at a bit of a career crossroads for this interview- she has been like me a Family Lawyer for much of her career in law to date but right now is taking some time out as she is looking to pursue a new direction bringing together her two passions- law and fashion.
Like so many of my guests Brianna has a deep love for creativity, having combined fine arts with law during her studies. A chance decision a few years ago to set up an Instagram account sharing fashion tips for corporate women has fast become Brianna’s creative outlet and is now the inspiration for a career pivot she is in the midst of making. It was a poignant time for this interview- Brianna is a few weeks into a break from law as she decides her next move. It was wonderful to hear how she is taking her time to make this decision, doing some research and really considering what the next step in her legal career might look like.
I for one will enjoy following the next part of Brianna’s adventures in law land and seeing where she takes her skills and passion for law, fashion and the creative arts.
Brianna McDougall and I also spoke about:
- If Brianna was not a lawyer she would work in fashion (and it seems she soon will be!)
- Growing up in the Southern Highlands before moving to Wollongong for University to study creative arts and law.
- Brianna’s experience with study and the contrast between the study of creative arts and the law.
- How Brianna came to be a family lawyer and her experience with her placement.
- Once Brianna graduated she moved to Sydney for her career.
- What Brianna loves about Sydney and her home now, Manly.
- Why Brianna has loved her time as a family lawyer.
- Brianna’s decision to start her Instagram account ‘LawyersFashion’ and all that it now entails (aka- a whole lot of work!)
- Why Brianna has made the decision to step away from Family Law and look at new opportunities aligned with fashion.
- We talked social media for business- the time involved, some of the methods and how and why Brianna has used Instagram to build her side hustle.
- Fashion and law (I couldn’t miss the opportunity to talk clothes!)
- The psychology behind colour and the clothing we wear.
- The balance between self expression and still being respectful to a traditional profession.
- The importance of Art in Brianna’s life and her perspective on how it integrates into the law.
- How the skills we learn as lawyers can be applied in so many other areas outside of the law.
- Trying a new career path or new area of law and Brianna’s perspective on following your passion.
- The importance of continuous learning.
- What Brianna loves to do in her spare time.
- Brianna’s top 5 fashion tips for lawyers.
- Brianna’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Lawyer Fashion guru and all round powerhouse Brianna McDougall.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside
of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here