Episode 128 – Being a #radladyboss in Goondiwindi with lawyer and #radladyboss herself Nicky Grummitt
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Nicky Grummitt an all round #radladyboss all the way from Goondiwindi! I may have tried to get the name of Nicky’s home town into this interview as much as possible because isn’t ‘Goondiwindi’ just the best word ever! (try saying it 10 times fast just for fun!) Now all jokes aside, Nicky is one savy lawyer who in the last few months has taken that leap of faith and put out her own shingle starting her own firm, Grevillea Law. Now I think it is one thing to start a newlaw law firm in the comfort of a busy town or city where there is a defined and active market place, lots of co-working facilities and no doubt access to all sorts of resources that make that new law firm start up period a little easier. So when I saw that Nicky was creating a modern, vibrant brand from a little town on the Queensland/ NSW border, I was really interested to learn more.
And learn I did! Nicky was a delight to interview and has such a calm and considered approach to business and the law. As a regional girl at heart, she is building a modern law practice that can service her clients all over Queensland all from a great little co-working hub in Goondiwindi! We talked life in the regions, balancing family/ career and all that fun stuff, overcoming moments of unhappiness in your career, taking breaks away from the law, boarding school, hiking and health! And a whole lot more! I loved this chat and now have Goondiwindi on my ‘must visit’ list for 2019!
In this interview Nicky and I also chatted about-
- If Nicky was not a lawyer she would have been in the world of business in some way (and now she is!)
- Nicky grew up on a large property and attended boarding school on the Gold Coast from age eleven.
- She loved the boarding school experience and being surrounded by friends.
- The reason that Nicky chose the study of both Law and Business.
- Nicky’s love of the practice of law.
- The fun and games of opening her own firm.
- Life in Goondiwindi- a small town of 6,000-10,000 on the NSW/Qld border.
- Taking some time out of law was the best thing for Nicky, enabling her to refocus and find her place in the profession.
- Nicky’s decision, while having a young family, to start her business.
- Nicky’s ‘team’ of experts at her firm- a graphic designer, accountant, website guru and a stylist!
- The #RadLadyBoss campaign- where this came from and why!
- We discuss life in the regions vs the city and the differences and similarities in practice.
- Colour and creativity is a large part of Nicky’s brand and she shares how this is being received by the local community.
- Tips and advice from Nicky as a lawyer and business owner and how she has managed the tricky times in her career.
- Nicky’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Nicky Grummitt